This is an in-depth guide on the preparation and use of amanita muscaria tea for medicinal benefit. I must start by saying that I don’t recommend anyone ingest these mushrooms. Topical use should be fine for most people. If you want to use these mushrooms to treat a physical or mental illness or use them for spiritual growth, it is important to research from many sources besides mine. I will split this into two parts Preparation and Usage.
Amanita Muscaria mushrooms have a high variety of potency from mushroom to mushroom. This is true for all muscaroid fungi including Amanita Persicina, Regalis, Pantherina, Muscaira var Guesowii, and the rest. The potency can vary due to a variety of factors. A way to stabilize the dosage of the mushroom and create a form that is standardized and dependable is to create a tea. There are a few ways to prepare it depending on the desired ratio of Ibotenic Acid to Muscimol. To make the tea we need to start with thoroughly dry mushrooms. Drying the mushrooms with heat is shown to convert some of the Ibotenic Acid to Muscimol.
If we want a tea with a higher concentration of Ibotenic Acid then we should use low temp and slowly dried mushrooms. Most people want to decarboxylate the Ibotenic Acid because they prefer the use and medicinal value of Muscimol, drying the mushrooms at around 160 farenheight or 70 celcius until they are completely dry should decarb some Ibotenic Acid but drying alone will still leave a high amount of Ibotenic Acid in the mushrooms.
To standardize the dose it is good to use a lot of mushrooms, like 10-20 grams, even more is good if possible. Also take from as many different mushrooms as possible, use a mix of small and big caps to get a good variety of potencies. I usually use 15-16 grams to make a batch of tea. This dose is for Amanita Muscaria. Remember that some varieties like Amanita Regalis and Amanita Pantherina can be much stronger than the Red/Yellow Amanita Muscairas. Due to the higher potency, it is even more important to standardize the dosage. Using 15 Grams of these mushrooms could be the same as 40-70+ grams of Amanita Muscaria. So please be very mindful.
Hot Tea(Higher Muscimol):
- Get a pot and fill it with 2-3 cups of water
- Add Lemon/Lime juice or Vitamin C( Ascorbic or Citric Acids), this helps break down the ibotenic acid.
- It is good to powderize the mushrooms before adding to the water, but otherwise, just break them up or cut them up with scissors into the pot
- Bring the pot to a boil, and then turn it down so it is simmering just below boiling.
- There are different recommendations on how long to simmer it for, many people do 30 minutes and have success, but I do 1-2 hours and have had good results.
- When done, strain through a filter once or twice, preferably something with fine filtration.
- Pour in a bottle/jar and it will last around a week in the fridge.
- For long term storage fill ice molds with the tea, and measure each cube to the certain dosage you want (like a teaspoon, tablespoon, or whatever dose)
Cold Tea(Higher Ibotenic Acid)
- Start with low temperature dried mushrooms if wanting to preserve as much Ibotenic Acid as possible, or warm dried mushrooms if wanting a partial decarboxylate still with ibotenic acid.
- Take a jar and fill it with 2-3 cups of water.
- Take 10-20 grams of mushrooms, powderize or cut up the mushrooms and put them in the jar, it is ok to leave them whole, but smaller pieces are better.
- You can then leave the jar in the fridge for a day or two, or maybe out in the moonlight. It is good to not brew it in extended sunlight if trying to preserve the Ibotenic Acid.
- When the tea is ready most of the color should be in the water and the caps now a pale color.
- Strain the tea with a fine filter or cloth
- It can be kept in the fridge, or for long-term storage frozen into individual dosed ice cubes.
Using the Tea:
The tea can be used topically to help soothe many types of pain and nerve issues. Try soaking a small cloth in some of the tea and then holding it on the painful area. It can help some people with sciatica, back pain, achy joints, neck pains, and more.
I do not recommend anyone consume this internally only based on my writings, please research from many sources, and make an informed decision. I would even encourage you to check my info compared to other information. Amanita sciences are still changing, and there is now a resurrection of the ancient mushroom. It is very likely that the “science” we have about the mushroom now will change in the years to come.
It is important to look with scrutiny to discern the illogical and incomplete science as well as made-up information being spread around. An example of this would be considering injecting pure ibotenic acid into the brain as being the same as using it orally and topical use. The issue is most things, including ethanol, will cause brain damage if injected directly into the brain, this is an extreme test and abrupt decision to halt testing.
When beginning to take Amanita Muscaria internally, it is important to start with a very small amount and titrate up to see how one responds.
If it were me I would start with a quarter teaspoon of the tea. The next day or a few days later would take a half teaspoon if I felt it was ok. I would continue increasing the dosage(tsp, 2tsp, tbsp, etc. ) until I found a spot that had the medicinal properties that suited my body.
If taken in too high of an amount, this mushroom can cause overdose with blackout or temporary unconsciousness, sometimes people end up at the hospital. This should not happen if being mindful, and we should be well away from that dosage by using the method described and starting very small.
Note on Pantheroids and Regalis Varieties:
Amanita Pantherina, Amanita Regalis, and a few other related pantheroid mushrooms contain a much higher concentration of ibotenic acid and muscimol than the Amanita Muscaria. When using these mushrooms it is important to practice mindfulness and be careful to start with a very small amount.
There are many different structures people have used for their medicinal use of the mushroom. Some ways are:
- Dosing once every three days
- Dosing every morning or evening
- Gradually increasing the dose for 21 days and then decreasing slowly back do nothing for the next 20 days
- Taking as needed
- Once a week
None of these are recommendations by any means, it is important to see what works for you. These have worked for some people but it important to research these more.
Teas that have converted more Ibotenic Acid to Muscimol will be more calming and trancy from the beginning. Often better for people with anxiety, calming, and for insomnia, but everyone must see for themself. If taking a high ibotenic acid tea, the effects may be more stimulating, and there is a sweet spot with the dosage, as too much ibotenic acid can be unpleasant. In my personal experience the first few hours I am stimulated, clear, productive, and connected. Our body acts as a converter and turns the Ibotenic Acid into Muscimol which our body then uses. The second part of the medicine becomes more calm and mellow as the Muscimol is absorbed.
Amanita Muscaria is a mushrooms with a lot of potential for healing in many aspects of life. It also requires respect and mindfulness. I hope this guide can assist you in your research.
One thought on “Making and Using Amanita Muscaria Tea”